Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sonoma International Film Festival - As if I'm not there.

There is still today/Sunday to go for the SIFF but I wanted to recommend a good movie I saw yesterday. It's entitled "As if I'm not there".  It is a tough movie to watch, I can tell you, and not one that you will forget in a hurry.  It is about the Bosnian war in the 1990's.  In the film description is it called "harsh" and it certainly is.  But it is definitely worth watching.


The protagonist is a school teacher in Sarajevo who goes to work in a remote village. But Serbian soldiers capture everyone from the village the day after she gets there. They kill all the men and take  the women to a camp.  The action is blatant: you are not left to suppose what is going on - you are shown it. The movie is based on real stories, and is disturbing and powerful.  It is all about the will to survive and doing what you have to do. 

After seeing this, I realize just how ignorant I am about all that went on in the Bosnian war, just in the last decade of the 20th century and the horrors that the citizens had to endure.

Let me know what you think if you do see it.

No comments: