Friday, April 15, 2011

Nosegays!

I'm taking a class tomorrow on creating nosegays! Isn't that a wonderful word.  Do you know where the name comes from ??

Nosegays were popular in the Victorian times and the idea was that it was something that kept your  nose gay or happy! Basically they were flowers in a posy that was fixed near your nose (either around your head or on your bodice) so that you could smell the flowers and not the nasty smells around you!

Nose-

- Gay      
Picture by Raindropmemory

The nosegay class is making crepe flowers and dipping them in wax!  My friend Angie and Marly gave me a class for my birthday this year in keeping with my plan to try new things throughout the year and the idea of flowers appealed to me.  And you can rest assured that I've never ventured into nosegays before  so it will definitely be something new and fun! The class is in Berkeley at Castle in the Air - a delightful store but somewhere I haven't taken classes before.

It's an all day class and I'm looking forward to making flowers and seeing how the wax part works.

I will take my camera and let you know how I get on.  Thanks Angie and Marly xx  I'm sure my nose will be gay.

2 comments:

Marly and Angie said...

So today is the day for nosegays!!!! What an interesting choice for a workshop....who knew there were nosegay workshops?!? Hope you have lots of fun! Can't wait to hear all about it....AND can't wait to be able to stroll the streets and shops of Berkeley, ourselves! So excited to know we'll be in California, soon! Can't wait to see you!
Enjoy your day!

Ruth said...

Hi Sweeties.
I had a lovely day. Made lots of flowers and while I didn't got the "nosegay" way of creating lots of posies, it was delightful. I'll post photos on Monday's blog to show you. The wax part really makes a difference in making them translucent.
See you soon! xx