Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bluebird of happiness

Here's another piece from my "birds with words" series...... Bluebird of Happiness.


The mythology of the bluebird of happiness has deep roots that go back thousands of years. Indigenous cultures across the globe hold similar myths and beliefs about the bluebird. It is a widely accepted symbol of cheerfulness, happiness, prosperity, hearth and home, good health, new births, the renewal of springtime, etc. Virtually any positive sentiments may be attached to the bluebird.


I hadn't heard of the expression a "bluebird of happiness" until we moved here and I saw my first bluebird. It's always a joy to see a bluebird and that wonderful flash of color...and they eat insects too, so are particularly useful around the vineyard. Now we watch them nest every year in one of our birdhouses in the vineyard - which even includes a camera inside so we can see every step from nest building to hatching to feeding to first flight.....and snoozing too:


Ahhh..... They do evoke happiness :=D

2 comments:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Clever design!!!

Beth Hikes said...

How wonderful! Your bluebird is so precious. I hadn't heard of this phrase either until I came across these blue glass birds http://www.terrastudios.com/bluebird.html when I was researching bluebirds. I just love the bluebirds tweeting away in Snow White so when I found out it had a mythological connection I was hooked :)