Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The girl with the bird nest in her hair

As I've been working on my clay sculpture, I wanted to bring a little bit more of myself into the piece - make it definitely a "Ruth" piece - and so, did you guess from yesterday's photo?  I purposely cut the top of the photo off but wondered if anyone would guess.....?


Yes, I made her hair into a nest and put a bird on top!  Now I feel it is a Ruth sculpture!!  What do you reckon?


I had a vague memory about a story from my childhood about a girl with a bird nest in her hair.  Did you ever read it?  The story goes that a little girl grew her hair long but then didn't want to brush it. You know how little girls' hair can get so tangled so that it hurts when you brush it? Well, that was the case with this girl.  So she told her mother she wasn't going to brush it.  The mother said she had to, otherwise birds would come and nest in her hair....



But the girl ignored her mother's warning and didn't brush her long hair.  Sure enough, as warned, little birds came and started nesting in her hair.  They were just tiny little songbirds to start with and so the girl actually quite liked it.  However, after a while, bigger and bigger birds came along and also wanted to nest and then it got quite painful.  The girl didn't like the big birds trying to nest in her hair - and so eventually, she had to admit that her mother was correct - and so, with her mother's help, got rid of the bird and began to brush her hair regularly.



And so, here is my sculpture now - with a little bird nesting in the top.

I also hollowed out her shoulder area, added eyebrows.....and in my next class I have to hollow out her neck, but then she'll be just about done and will need to be left to dry.



Hope you like how she is coming along.  I haven't thought of a name for her yet? Any ideas?  "Nest" is a girl's name apparently - it's Welsh - but I don't think that's right for her.  I'll have a think today and see what I come up with......

8 comments:

Lora Hart said...

She's just lovely Ruth. Love her ornithic hairdo. The nest was the perfect adaptation to make her your own.

Lora Hart said...

The Girl with the Bird Nest Chapeau! Kind of like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. ;D

vilterietje said...

it's very "ruth" so i would call her ruth. it's a wonderfull sculpture, i realy love it.love, riet:)

Joy Funnell said...

Wow she is lovely. The bird is great. I agree with Reit - Ruth is a good name for her.

I have also signed up for a ceramic workshop to start off the year and I begin at the end of January. If I can produce anything half as good as this I will be well chuffed!

Ruth said...

Back at her this afternoon to hollow out her neck and put on the finishing touches. Thanks for your comments and name suggestions! I like the "dragon tattoo" idea!!! But think she looks much prettier than that the real Ruth so the Ruth idea may be tricky!
Hope you enjoy your ceramic workshop too Joy. I've loved mine...and what to do next?????

Anonymous said...

You are a natural sculptor, Ruth! It's great to watch your creative process in a new medium! The girl with the bird nest in her hair is beautiful! You've really made it your own! She looks like a goddess. You could call her Artemikhe, who, in order to be kept safe, was turned into a lark by the goddess Leto and her daughter Artemis. Maybe she is in transition from human to lark!

Marly Penner said...

That wasn't anonymous...that was me!

Ruth said...

Thanks Marly. I hadn't heard of Artemihke before. Good to read about her. Glad you like the sculpture. It's been such fun. Now if only silver prices were lower......