Friday, May 6, 2011

Leaf textures

This week I tried out a couple more textures with the aluminum using a rolling mill.  My goal was to create a leaf impression.  I'm pleased with the results.


I dyed the aluminum first and sealed it. Then I ran it through the rolling mill.  All the little veins show up well on the aluminum.  It's such an intricate pattern and all that you see is texture, not different colored dyes.  I then did a little fold forming to bend the leaf,  filed the edges to show the silver color of the aluminum and voila!



The photo above reminds me of soft furry sage leaves - the green really does give them a soft look.



And you can see from the photo below that the veins even show up on the back of the leaf.


I haven't decided how I'm going to use them yet...whether a little creature will sit on them...or some flowers or.....what do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The leaves look fantastic! I love the texture and the way the silver aluminum shows in a thin line on the edges. The fold forming is cool too. I like the way the real flowers look with them in the first photo. Small PMC flowers with the leaves....white aluminum flowers...There are so many possibilities with these!

Niky Sayers said...

Completley agree with the first comment! I saw that first photo and said WOW. They look beautiful!

K S Jewellery Designs said...

These are excellent - at first look I thought they were real! I agree about the way the aluminium shows at the side - this is a nice touch.

I think flowers would look great with these but I might be biaised because I love everything flowery, especially for jewellery.

Kristin :)

Ruth said...

Thanks for your feedback. I was so excited with how they came out - but it's nice to hear comments from others too! Hopefully I'll do something with them this week! I think flowers will appear ......