Wednesday, May 25, 2011

21/52 Bird a week challenge - Great Blue Heron

As I'm in the UK at the moment, I thought it was a good time to have a non-metal/jewelry bird for my "bird a week" challenge!  And so I tried something a little different - an illustration using plasticine.

Here is my great blue heron.


There are a number of illustrators who work in plasticine - and it's fascinating to see what they do.  I was especially inspired by the work of Barbara Reid who has illustrated many children's book.  I am so attracted by the idea illustration - yet not being able to draw is such a hindrance!  But maybe I will try more in sculptural illustration instead.


I haven't used plasticine since I was a little girl. It felt nice.  Blending colors was fun too. I'm keen to try more.

Our great blue heron has been at our pond in the US regularly over the last few months and next week, we go and see my sister and her family at her vacation home on a lake near us in the Cotswolds, called "Heronslake".  Maybe it'll be a week of herons!

Please click on the links below to see what others have done this week for the "bird a week" challenge.  We are nearly half way through the year....

4 comments:

Tweed Thoughts said...

Wow, that's beautiful! - hope you're enjoying your break in the UK :)
Alison

Ruth said...

Thanks Alison. Yes, I am having a good time. And looking forward to seeing my nephew with his new wonderful pencil case next week :-D

Jan J. said...

I LOVE this! Makes me want to try my hand at plasticine!

Ruth said...

Thanks Jan. It is fun. It's made me want to try more too!! Let me know if you give it a go.