Friday, September 24, 2010

Merry Go Round - what's your favorite colour and how does it show in your work?


It''s time for another ride on the merry-go-round! Jump on and join a group of 8 artists/crafts-women as they link around the world and tell you a little about their lives in art and craft.

This month's question is : What is your favourite colour and how does it show up in your work?
And my answer is:
LIME GREEN! 
Hugh the Chameleon - "show your true colors
This is a perfectly timed "merry" question for me!  As you know - most of my work to date has been with silver - and silver is not my favorite colour!  I've tried different ways of adding color to silver over the years and while some have worked fine - like "Hugh" -  they haven't been quite "it" and I've still craved bright colours.  But recently I've been working more with coloring anodized aluminum to get that spark of colour in my work, either with aluminum on its own, or combining it with silver.

Fresh leaves
Spring
I just love bright colours and if you've ever been to my home or met me - you'll know that I surround myself with a lot of color...so silver is in that way quite limiting. I started working on anodized aluminum at the beginning of the year...and my success was slow to start with.....but now I'm finding lots of new ways and techniques to work with it.  The colors it produces are so vibrant.

Garden seat
So yes, lime green is bursting out of me! It just always makes me happy when I see it.  I am so attracted to it.  So it is coming through now in my aluminium work...watch this space... you will see more and more...

Bangle  - work in progress
Faux bone bangle bracelet
If you want to learn about the other members of the merry go round and how they use their favorite color, please click on the links below.  We live in all different places around the world, so time differences may impact when we all get our blog post up.

What's your favorite color?


Mitsy at ArtMind - http://artmind-etcetera.blogspot.com
Kim at Vilt a la Kim - http://viltalakim.blogspot.com
Sara at Crafts of Texture - http://sarastexturecrafts.blogspot.com  
Fabienne at Easterya Jewellery Creations - http://easterya.blogspot.com
Mariana at Florcita - http://www.florcita.eu/
Agathe at Le Bar du Vent - http://lebarduvent.blogspot.com
Lily at Lily Pang Art and Design - http://lilypangart.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Sara Millis said...

I absolutely adore your new colour work Ruth, it's wonderful to see how you've developed this over the year.

And there was me thinking you might say, 'silver'!!

Sx

Lily Pang said...

I like your exploration. Your silver ones are beautiful and the colored ones are also great! It's very exciting.

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

We share the passion for the same green. It's vibrance can only make you happy I think and just like you, I hardly ever work with color when I'm claying but don't stop me when I get to glaze! ;)

Easterya said...

I am blown away by how much colour you have in your work right now, absolutely wonderful!! It adds a huge bouncy-happy-zingy feel to your pieces, it's fab!!!

Florcita said...

that bangle is gorgeous with all those drawings! Probably a lot of work!
Your "colourful" work is beautiful... I must say I love silver and since I always have lots of colour around I actually enjoy the ...tranquillity? that silver brings... but colour is always welcome. Beautiful pieces.

meherio68 said...

It seems lime green is this month's winner, then! :)
I have to say, I was wondering, ahead of reading your post, how you would feel about this, what with your working mostly with silver.
The wee, tiny, wishful thinking, budding metalsmith in me tends to oggle and drool at colourful gems these days...

Ruth said...

Yeah - lime green wins! This has been fun to see how we incorporate our favs! Thanks for all your encouragement with my new aluminium work too.... it is exciting to be working in color for a change.