Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cathedral rose windows

I've made a few pairs of earrings based on the design of the Rose Window of Grace Cathedral, where I sing every week.  Previously I've created the "stone" part of the window in silver and then used hand colored resin to represent the "glass".  In the style of my new "bright flowers" earrings, I thought I'd try a different approach on my own pair of rose window earrings - namely remove the resin and hang a piece a colored anodized aluminum in the back to represent the "stained glass". What do you think?



 

Do you like the look?  I colored the aluminum with splashes of color - trying not to make too much mess!!!  You can see here the aluminum layer:



This combining silver with colored aluminum really goes a long way to satisfy my lust for bright colors.  It means I can still use the silver, but add color as a backing.


I'll look forward to wearing these at Grace on Sunday. I wonder if anyone will notice......

7 comments:

lora Hart said...

I adore these Ruth! I bet you get lots of compliments.

Ruth said...

I so love it when you comment on my blog! It is so encouraging. Thanks my dear.

Lana Ramos said...

Ruth - I absolutely LOVE these earrings! It's always fun to read about your inspiration for your pieces. :)

EmandaJ said...

Hi Ruth, I found you on Beth Hemilla's blog list. The words Stained Glass and Rose window piqued my interested. I LOVE what you have done. I'm a Gothic Window "nut" (studied them in Grad school). When I saw your earrings, they took my breath away!

Emanda
www.ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

wonderfull!

Joy Funnell said...

Oh I really like those!

meherio68 said...

Wow! These are truly gorgeous and true to name!