Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday's spotlight - I wouldn't have thought it possible

By guest blogger Pete.

No.  I wouldn't have thought it possible.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't witnessed it myself and seen it with my own eyes.  What is this miracle of the second decade of the 21st Century?  Well, yesterday the 19th day of February in the year 2010, Pam went into the garden and worked there for approximately  half an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
 

Photo by Nganguyen 

I just couldn't believe it.  Now, don't get me wrong.  The unbelievable part isn't the fact that Pam went out to work in the garden.  Far from it.  In fact, she, rather enjoys a bit of gardening.  I must confess to enjoying it more in the warmer months than in the colder ones.  The unbelievable aspect is that since our marriage - "??" years ago -  there has been an unwritten rule (also an unbroken rule) that the earliest we'll get out into the garden is late March or early April.  Yet here was Pam cutting back the passion flowers as if it was mid-summer's day!  I couldn't believe it.

 
 Photo by DaveandEmma
I also find it difficult to believe the weather we've had this week.  We have had the inevitable rain, a smattering of snow, heavy frosts, black ice and two days of sunshine for yesterday and today.  So in a week we've experienced something I wouldn't have thought possible.  AND there are 12+ hours remaining for a tornado to turn up.

Perhaps cutting back the Passion Flowers was a wee bit early - could be that a heavy frost or two will come along and those passion flowers will move to that glass house in the sky.  Not a disaster, though, if that does happen but I will be surprised if it does.  The flowers have been in their present location for over ten years and a non passion flower plant might make a nice change when we go to the garage.  Ruth and John had a passion flower when they lived near Hereford.  They rashly asked me how they should look after it.  I recommended cutting it back March or early April.  Their passion flower died.  I couldn't believe it and they've never forgotten it.
 
 Photo by Spakattacks


Do you know how the passion flower got its name?  A little work for you to do then.  Look at a picture of a passion flower and find the following:
     a)  Crown  of thorns.
     B)  Multitude.
     c}  Disciples.  (You may not find more than ten.  Judas Iscariot is missing and, from time to time, one of the other disciples slips out for a cup of coffee)!  Bet you didn't know that.  It's impossible to believe .
     d)  Marks of the nails.
     e)  Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I wouldn't have believed it possible if I hadn't heard it with my own ears.  G. B. has won a gold - spelt G - O - L - D  - medal at the Winter Olympics.  Amy Williams was our successful candidate and I can't believe that she doesn't come from Lincolnshire!   It's our first gold - spelt G - O - L - D  -medal from the Winter Olympics for 30 years.  Hard to believe that.  Especially as this year we've had more snow in Lincolnshire than they've had at Whistler!!!!

Go on looking.  You may be surprised by the things you see.  You may even say, "I can't believe it!"

No comments: