Saturday, May 8, 2010

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream and Macarons

We have friends coming around for dinner tonight so I've been busy in the kitchen - then took a break and did some gardening!

I made strawberry ice cream - using the most delicious strawberries that I bought from a farm in Kenwood.  These strawberries are how strawberries should taste!  Absolutely yummy.


So my first ice cream of the spring.  I love making ice cream and make quite a bit throughout spring, summer an fall.

I don't like store bought strawberry ice cream - but this recipe I have is just yummy - so I thought I'd share it with you. It's really easy so even if you've never made ice cream before - it's worth a try.

Ingredients:
1lb (500g) Strawberries
1/2 pint ( 300 ml) heavy (double) cream
4oz (100g) bakers (caster) sugar
Juice of a lemon


Puree/mash the strawberries, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix.  Churn in an ice cream maker or put in a container in the freezer.  If you aren't using an ice cream maker, you'll need to take the ice cream out every couple of hours and break up the ice crystals with a fork.


When softly frozen - eat it!!

I made some French lemon Macarons to go with the ice cream.  Macarons are a great naturally gluten free dessert but a little fiddle to make.  The ones I made today have lemon rind in the meringue part and then are filled with some lemon curd that I also made this afternoon!


Fancy joining us for dinner????

2 comments:

Sue McNenly said...

You never told me what time to come over:)!

Ruth said...

Around 6 - 6:30 pm will be fine...See ya then!