Friday, May 21, 2010

Anyone can swing - Fridays facts, fascinations and folklore

I read an interesting article in the paper yesterday about a new Playground that's just opened in Hyde Park, London that is designed for seniors ( 60 years +).


It sounds great.  They have installed some low impact fitness machines for seniors such as a cross trainer, a sit up bench, a stationary bicycle etc.....The idea is that this fitness equipment encourages seniors to participate in gentle exercise while also providing them with time to socialize with friends, and all in a nice environment...  It's not gym where you have to pay for membership and come in workout clothes, you can just be wandering by and take a few minutes to try some exercises...

Here's a link to a short video about the new playground


Photo by Kirsty Wigglesworth

 But after reading it...I was left wanting more.....

Where are the swings, slides, see-saws, and roundabouts?...Why can't there be "playground" equipment in there too?  Don't you think that sounds fun and gives exercising a little more "freeing" feeling....I mean there is nothing like swinging high and feeling the wind in your hair, or holding on to a roundabout and catching those wonderful childhood memories....  Feeling younger again...


So well done to Westminster City Council who funded the project ($60,000) - but now add some recapture-those-childhood-days equipment too!  I bet everyone would enjoy it... I know I feel somewhat sad when I walk past a swing and can't go on it....  And after all...anyone can swing:


2 comments:

Lori P said...

So true. A great idea that they need to take a few steps further.

Sara said...

I second your push for an adult playground! I still swing on swings, but I feel guilty when there's kiddies around- I don't mean to steal their swings, but I can't help it!