Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Triangular tower

Well it may not seem like a good starting point...but the inspiration for this piece came from the brickwork texture! The texture came from a hobby railway set of a small building and so I made my own brick texture plate with it, from two part silicone rubber. I didn't want to just make a house with this lovely texture - so this "olde" castle idea came to mind. The triangular part just appeared as I was troubled how a square tower would sit/hang properly. So I made a support from a card and wrapped some silverclay around it. Then I added the textured layer.

I love the idea of little ramparts... I think every castle tower should have them to shoot those arrows out of.....But then sometimes castles seem a little scary so I made the door partially open so that it would look inviting...make the viewer want to peer inside and "enter". I put the bail on the back to hang the chain from....but then the idea of winding stairs up to the top of the tower, to the ramparts...has that sense of mystery...so I decided to add something just for the wearer that others wouldn't see.
I added a cobalt blue stone in the top - so when the wearer looks down - they see this gorgeous colour. Also when outside, the light hits the blue stone and casts a general blueness to the inside of the tower, like there is a light on inside...
(I have this idea to create a piece with an actual light inside ....but that is a work in progress....)
So the wearer has their own secret that they can choose to share or not.

I've actually done a few castle pieces....from 'talking towers', which were round tower earrings that seemed to be saying something to each other, to 'Rapunzel's towers', to 'An Englishman's home is his castle', to 'Tuscan towers' to 'Home sweet home'.. The idea of architecture really interests me. And it was piqued even more when I recently read the book by Ken Follett "Pillars of the earth" - but that inspired another piece of jewelry which I'll relay another day.....

The pictures of the castle here are Castello di Amorosa - a new winery that has recently opened in Napa Valley. The owner spent $36million creating this castle - which he doesn't even live in! It makes me laugh. It is a brand new castle but he spent such attention to detail to make it look like an authentic old castle. Its amazing. You just have to love it! There are three storeys below ground for the wine to "live" in and three storeys above ground to "play" in. Alot of events are held here and the owner likes to be the "king of the castle"!!! A fun place to visit if you are in the area....
Anyhow - hope your home is your castle..... and is full of surprises!

2 comments:

Mariana said...

I love that tower! what a great idea and such detail! fantastic. i think the stone on top and the opened door are great ideas. They add so much movement (as opossed to something completely solid) and a bit of fun with the light and colors.

Now, Im amazed about the 36million dolla castle! my god! what, you just had them laying around Mr king of the Napa Valley??? gosh, what to do with this 36mil...hmmm ok, I'll just build a castle....

0-0
-

Ruth said...

I know Marian! That's what we couldn't get over. You like castles...happen to have a spare 36 million, so go around a few and make note of the bits you like....then you build your own and don't even live in it!!!!! I just can't comprehend this bank account where you are scratching your head and trying to decide how to spend you money!!! It definitely adds a twist when you see you - all the time, you see all the little details he has added...another million here.....!!