Saturday, March 20, 2010

Murals and Sculptures from San Miguel

When we were in San Miguel this week, two artists' work really stood out for me.  The first was Rodrigo de la Sierra.  He creates wonderful large sculptures using resin.  It doesn't look at all like resin to me - but when you see the photos (sorry, only from my phone so not great), you will tell instantly why I like them.  His work can be seen at the Fabrica La Aurora which is an old textile factory, and now houses 40 artists studios, plus galleries, a restaurant and all in a wonderful setting.


The second artist is David Leonardo.  His work is all over San Miguel but I was really taken with the murals he painted on the walls of one of the rooms in the Bibliotheca in San Miguel.  It took 2 years to paint all the walls. What color!


There was so much wonderful color and art there - it was very inspiring. I think a return visit is in order one day....

8 comments:

ColeAndJosephine said...

Very cool. With these huge installations, I always wonder how they get started. It seems like it would be very overwhelming.

Lorena Angulo said...

What a wonderful experience !
San Miguel is gorgeous and as you said the art everywhere is amazing.

Ruth said...

I agree Nicole. Do you start in a tiny corner somewhere or right in the middle of a big wall??? And to keep working on something for 2 years doesn't fit in with my style either!

Yes Lorena. It is a gorgeous place. We really enjoyed our few days there. Very refreshing and inspiring.

Sue McNenly said...

Very Mackenzie Thorpish:)

Ruth said...

I hadn't thought of MacKenzie Thorpe Sue, but I agree!

Rodrigo said...

Estas obras corresponden a un personaje definido, se llama Timoteo. A diferencia de las obras de Mackenzie Thorpe o Tom Otterness. Atentamente Rodrigo de la Sierra

Ruth said...

Thanks so much for responding Rodrigo. I've love to hear more about Timothy. Do you have a website with more information? I couldn't find anything in my searching. Just love your work and have never seen resin used like that.

Rodrigo said...

Hi Ruth, thank you very much for your comments.
Well, you can visit my website www.rodrigodelasierra.com, then you can see more works of Timo and upcoming exhibitions. I'll be very pleased to hear your comments.
I use the resin, wood and bronze, as is the art piece of heart and the stairs you saw in San Miguel, the other works you saw are polished resin