Saturday, January 16, 2010

Unusual sculptural scenes

I recently came across these lovely little paper sculptures of everyday scenes and found them so delightful:


Then I found out they were all made from a toilet roll!


Artist Anastassia Elias carefully carves tiny scenes in the toilet rolls, leaving the outside intact, with the layer of the scene providing shadows and depth. The artist then photographs the toilet rolls/sculptures at different angles so you see different parts of the scene.

I love them! Maybe I'll have to stop giving our paper rolls to our parrot to chew up and create something with them instead!

I remember when I was a kid, my mum used to do arts and crafts with children and often used toilet rolls for different projects. We always called them "do di do rolls" then - so much more refined than toilet rolls!!! Ever made anything from a do di do roll?

3 comments:

Jan J. said...

I never thought I would see something so exquisite made from a toilet paper roll! Those are beautiful! That is an unusual art form indeed LOL!

Vickie Hallmark said...

Clever! Artists never cease to amaze me with their abilities to see art in the most derelict items.

Ruth said...

They are great aren't they. And the photography and lighting are so good too!