Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March in books and movies

End of another month, so time to share with you the movies I've watched and the books I've read. Let me know if you've watched any of them or read them too.
Movies
Gideon's Daughter
Seven and a Match
24: Redemption
Dirty Filthy Love
Transsiberian
Kinamand
Penelope
Memento
The contract
The Vanishing
Breaking and Entering
Mortal Danger

I have to say that I loved Gideon's Daughter. A major part of that is, I confess, due to the fact that Bill Nighy starred in it and I have a bit of a soft spot for Bill Nighy. Basically, I think he is wonderful.......And I know all the words he says are scripted but .....he does have that dry, understated sense of humor..... and he makes me melt! What more can I say! I just enjoy watching him!






Kinamand was also a sweet film too. Quite tender.





We also saw the live HD broadcast of two of the Met Opera's at the movie theater too:
Madama Butterfly
La Sonnambula

In Madama Butterfly, they used puppetry for Butterfly's little son and in a few others places. I tell you, I have never seen such wonderful puppets. Each puppet was "brought to life" by three people - one with the head and one arm, one with the other arm and the body and the third person bent over all the time with the legs and feet. The emotion the puppeteers got from these puppets - especially the little boy were absolutely amazing. I cried. It was heartbreaking. It was so incredibly beautiful and moving - and for me - so unexpected.
La Sonnambula was wonderful too - I highly recommend both of the operas and if you have a chance to see any of the HD broadcasts - take it! I guarantee you won't be disappointed. They have been a highlight of our winter.

Books
I haven't read many books this month. Just don't seem to have had the time..... Anyhow I have read:
Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano
Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer
...although I haven't quite finished Paths of Glory.....just a little to go.

I enjoyed Paths of Glory but it's not quite as gripping as the other Jeffrey Archer books I've read. The book is all about Mallory who tried to be the first to climb Mount Everest. As I haven't finished the book, I can't give anything away....but I'm eager to get to the end to see what happens. If you've never read Jeffrey, do give him a try. The others I've read are "Not a penny more, not a penny less" and "Prisoner of Birth". Both highly recommended.


So what have you been watching and reading? Do share your month in movies and books!

No comments: