Monday, March 16, 2009

Cathedral rose window earrings

Finally I've made some earrings! It seems that all my inspiration tends towards bracelets, bangles and necklaces lately..... Not quite sure why......And I can't even say the earrings are a new design as I have previously made a similar necklace.

Anyhow - the design of the earrings is from the rose window at Grace cathedral in San Francisco where I sing every week. As I sing, this is what I see! Just a gorgeous geometric array for stained glass. Here is the window:

In the earrings, the "stained glass" is actually blue, red and yellow resin.


What I like about the earrings is that the light shines through them, like the window. With the necklace, as you wear it is against your skin so you don't get the transparency of the resin, but as earrings you do. The other great thing is that the earrings are really light weight and comfortable as the silver is all cut out and the resin is much lighter than metal.

Hope you like them....

8 comments:

Jan J. said...

These are just gorgeous! I love how light and airy they are and the design is lovely! They colored resin really does remind me of stained glass. I am so impressed with your creativity to render this beautiful window!

Anonymous said...

They are soooo beautiful!

Karen Gill said...

Hi,
Those are really pretty earrings!!

Easterya said...

Oh My, these are so GORGEOUS!!! So sweet and pretty, I love them!!

Lora Hart said...

These are soo beautiful Ruth! You did a wonderful job with the resin. PPP's?

Ruth said...

Yes, I did make them with ppp's. I had done a necklace a year or so ago and have done some other "stained glass" windows - but didn't know how to do ppp's then. Good to go back and redo things when you've learnt new techniques.

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Lana Ramos said...

These are stunning, Ruth!

Beaded Zen said...

I meant to say this when you first posted this...but as you know I'm easily distracted. ha

Anyway, I'm in-love with these earrings and the combination of colors and metal. I hope you start a line with this technique.