Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mango Nectarines

I found a new fruit yesterday - a mango nectarine.  They were for sale in Whole Foods so I thought I'd give them a go.


They look like golden plums, have the texture of nectarines and the fleshy color of mangoes.  In fact, the mango part in the name is misleading as they are not derived from mangoes - but the inside color is that of a mango.  I think they are only grown in CA.


In my taste trial, I didn't really taste any mango flavor in it - but my hubby did. But it did taste good.  And it's a beautiful color, so I can see myself adding it to salads, making salsas with them, and then just eating them as it.  They weren't as juicy and sweet as the nectarines I had from the farmer's market at the weekend and looking at them, I don't think the juiciness is related to ripeness, I just don't think they are such a juicy fruit. But I'll try a few more and let you know.


Have you tried them yet?  What's your favorite "new" fruit you've found the last couple of years?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a few in 2009.
They were fully ripe, soft even. And the flavor was tangy like that of a mango.