Saturday, June 12, 2010

Frog eaters in the pond

Just spotted a little Green Heron on the duck birdhouse on our pond.  We often see him by the pond under the dock or in the canoe doing some fishing but Green Herons are typically shy so we haven't seen him on top of the post before.  Got some nice photos of him too showing his green head...


I'm wondering if he is sitting further from the water to get away from the noise of Bello the bullfrog whom I mentioned in yesterday's post! Can herons put their wings over his ears to block out the noise I wonder????


And even though herons eat frogs - I think Bello could be a little much for the little green!  We also get a great blue heron regularly but not even sure if they eat bull frogs.... Adult bull frogs seem to have few predators.


I think I'd have to say that I prefer the elegance of the heron to the croak of the bullfrog.  Sorry Bello!

No comments: