Saturday, January 23, 2010

Making and using stencils with metal clay

Yeah! I've had some time in my studio again! It's been far too long an absence....

So straight back in and I've been trying out a new technique - stenciling. Basically you cut out a stencil from brass and then place it over a dried metal clay shape. You then drag very thick metal clay paste over the stencil with a palette knife. The clay goes through the holes in the stencil - and voila! A pattern comes through onto your dried metal clay shape.

Here is a photo of me in the process - sanding the stencil......Bet you can guess what it is?


There is a whole chapter on the technique by Kelley Russell in the PMC Technic book if you want more info and inspiration....or drop me a line if you have any questions.....


Can't show you my whole piece yet as it is a surprise!

1 comment:

Tangled Stitch said...

Can't wait to see the finished project. Looks very cool already!