Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday's spotlight - 1.2.3

In no way could I ever be described as a regular visitor to the cinema. Perhaps I'm showing my age here but I can see no point in spending good money on films that show violence, sex, or magic in its many forms. I like films but most of my film watching is through the TV or via DVD. Our DVD player also shows videos so old tapes made years ago can still be viewed.


A couple of weeks ago, I went with my elder grandson, to the local cinema to see "The Taking of Pelham 123". The main reason for this visit is that I have a video of the original "Pelham 123" and it has remained one of my favourites. I enjoyed the new version, although I was left thinking that John Travolta didn't make a convincing "baddie". He lacked the real menace that was seen in the character of the original film.


Denzyl Washington, on the other hand, always seemed in control of his role. Of course the new version was more sensational than the old one and the changes in the story were well done and, on the whole, believable. However, I came away with the opinion that the original version was better and its ending more convincing. I'd recommend the film to anyone but, if possible, I would suggest that they then view the original as well. Any comments?


My wife celebrated another birthday on the 15th of this month and some friends gave her a floral display that included orchids. Our last orchid just faded away for no apparent reason so Pam asked the giver how to avoid that for these orchids. "The more stress you put them under the more they'll flower", was the reply. So before going to bed that night I had a good shout at the orchids and really told them off. For some reason it didn't have any effect on them!!!!!!! Any readers have ideas about raising orchids?


Kaleidoscope photos this week. For some reason they don't like you taking photos inside the cinema so all the kaleidoscopes are from a flower festival held this year in the Parish Church at Gosberton. With the exception of known readers from the Deepings, I wonder how many of you know where Gosberton is?

No comments: