Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Business Matters - Part 5 - Building a website

I've just spent part of the last week or so building a website for a non-profit organization I am involved with. I've built a few before - but they were all on mac using iweb. However this time, we needed a website that other members of the non-profit organization could use and update and change and so is not restricted to only mac users or only pc users, nor is a program like rapidweaver that has a huge learning curve.

After a little searching, I came across these three free website builders - Google sites, Weebly and Synthasite. In the end, we chose Synthasite and our website is just about ready to publish.

I mention it here because it is a great illustration of just how simple putting together a website can be nowadays. Synthasite lets you choose from one of 30 or so styles and then you don't need to know any html - you just type what you want, where you want.

We put a blog on the site, we've got photos, you can link to flickr or picnik, pdf's of the newsletters are linked through........It gives you a choice of web-friendly fonts, colors of fonts, you can upload your own banner or logo....like this one I made for it:


Yes, it has a few little foibles that you have to fiddle with to get things how you want - but really, it's a great way to get your own web presence.

It's a great way to get a site up and running in just a few hours. So you could start off with a simple site created on Synthasite and see what happens..... Then change and develop it as you want and need to. Maybe you'll end up wanting a professionally designed site in the end - but this is just a great way to start. I find having built my own site so advantageous because then I can update as often as I need, without having to get someone else to do it for me (and paying someone else!). Sorry I can't show you the new site now but we can't publish it until the Board have seen it. Maybe in a couple of week's time.

Anyhow - for now - here is my (mac built) website www.birdlandcreations.com ,

and also a website I built for my sister for her vacation home www.heronslake.co.uk (Sorry her place is only available for family and friends......). Get building!!!!

No comments: