Monday, December 1, 2008

Living in a fish bowl

Here's another new piece I did this week, inspired by something on my trip to England.


During our stay, we met up with some friends whom we first met when we were on holiday in the Galapagos. We had a wonderful holiday there, and ever since, the six of us try to meet up for lunch or dinner once a year when we go back to England.

It's always a lot of fun - and after lunch, just before we said our goodbyes, I remembered to ask Jeremy if he had read any good books lately - he always has some good recommendations. He suggested "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" by Paul Torday and said that he would drop his copy off to us before we left.

Well, I started reading it on the way to the airport, then on the plane and finished it at home. It's a delightful little book. Thank you J. Quite amusing and all about introducing salmon into the Yemen.

Anyhow - all this talk - or reading - of fish made me think of this one fish design I had come up with a while ago and then never made it. My original design was to use mixed metals but you can't combine the different clays as I had hoped - so I've done it in silver and think I may add some gold to the fish.

So my creation is called "living in a fish bowl" and shows a little (soon-to-be?) goldfish swimming in his bowl with some plants etc. My other idea is to make earrings to go with it - one earring will be an empty bowl and the other earring will be the fish - having escaped!!! But who knows when those will come about........

A while the salmon in the Yemen weren't in bowls - they were definitely "living in a fish bowl", so to speak!

2 comments:

meherio68 said...

This is gorgeous! Amazing carftswomanship too...

Easterya said...

Such fun! I love the sound of the earrings too, the escapee fish!!! Brilliant!!