Monday, August 25, 2008

The secret garden

My parents came over a couple of months ago and we met them in Vancouver, BC, then went on a little touring trip around Portland, OR and Seattle, WA. While in Seattle, we went over to Bainbridge Island and Whidbey Island. When we were on Whidbey, we called into the Meerkerk Rhododendron Gardens. It was the perfect time of the year to see the Rhododendrons. It is a testing garden where they try new varieties of Rhododendrons. So many different colours and types of rhodos. It was all laid out so beautifully too with natural paths through into different sections of the gardens...you couldn't see the big picture of where you were going, you just explored little by little....it was like coming across lots of new surprises.
There were some funny short earred rabbits there too. Initially, we couldn't tell what they were - they looked so funny with their little ears....

But as I was wandering around, to the hidden little ponds on little mulch or grass paths....finding one new little area after another, it made me think of lots of little "secret gardens"... Do you remember the children's story book? I remember watching it televised on the BBC when I was a little girl. I just loved it so much. And so while I was wandering around, I created this new necklace in my head. It is an old wooden garden gate, with tiny little hinges and a latch...and a little window to make you curious to see what it behind it. You undo the latch and there is a little flower garden.


Your very own secret garden to wear. I love the element of surprise, and also that you can keep it as a secret from others.




The fact that there is movement in the piece is what appeals most - I am really focusing on jewelry that moves right now - so here is my little "secret garden" necklace, in fine silver.

2 comments:

Mariana said...

I love Seattle! I think It is one of my favourite cities un the US.
What a great idea that necklace. It really is a super extra to have jewellery that opens and has secrets and... dunno... prettier.

Magriet said...

You describe the garden so well :) And the jewellery is beautiful. Very original.