Saturday, August 2, 2008

Hickory Dickory Dock


Well, it seems that time is of the essence right now while I am taking classes and not home much - leaving early and getting back late - so a quick post about a time piece that I made. Not sure how common the nursery rhyme is - but do you remember:

Hickory Dickory Dock
The mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck one,
The mouse ran down,
Hickory Dickory Dock.

Anyone know what it means??? There are in fact many verses - up to noon - 12 o'clock - but there doesn't seem to be a clear meaning of what it is all about.

Anyhow - when I was doing some nursery rhyme jewelry - for adults - not kids - I made a hickory dickory dock necklace using a real working watch. The watch part of it, reminds me of my mother. When I was growing up, she always wore watches that were pins/brooches and never wrist watches. It confused me as a child that they always looked upside down - so that to the wearer the are the right way up - but to me it just looked silly being upside down.!!

Anyhow - I made the necklace with a watch so the wearer could read it - and hanging from it is a little handsculpted mouse. Now if my mum had had one of these when I was a kid, I'd have been really impressed!!!!

Nowadays my mum wears a wrist watch. Wonder why she changed after all these years...... If you are reading this mum - tell us all!! Why swap from a fob watch to a wrist watch ????
Anyhow - keeping this post timely - I go now!

2 comments:

Mariana said...

Whata beautiful piece! I used to NEED watches to live and nowadays I dont have one. Once my last watch got broken I kinda took too long to replace it and now I dont have one. i do miss it though. i hate asking what time it is... especially if I have to ask my husband. If it is 5.35 he doesnt say "25 for..." or something like that, he says "almost 6". Right... if you had to leave at 6 you start running... when in fact you still have like half an hour! its not almost 6! I dont know why he does that.
I need a watch I suposse!

i dont know the rhyme but then again, Im argentinean and we have other rhymes in spanish... which i cant remember.

Magriet said...

Have fun on your course. I love the watch!