Friday, July 23, 2010

Eggshell Mosaic

As part of my mixed media class, we learnt a technique using eggshells on metal.

First - eat the eggs!

Then the tricky part is taking the membrane off from inside the egg shells.  I hadn't realized it, but the membrane on the inside of an egg shell is pink in color - just a pale pink - but definitely pink. As you remove it - it's actually a few layers - the shell gets more and more fragile.


We then learnt how to apply the eggshells to the metal to create a really tough surface and also add some color.  I used a turquoise/blue color for mine, but I'm afraid the photo doesn't really show that as the lighting wasn't good in the studio.


It's an interesting technique and here's a couple of examples of how Diane - our instructor - has utilized it in created two brooches.


I wonder how I will ended up using it????

1 comment:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Beautiful! I just love Diane's work, so I'm envious that you're getting to study with her. Not to mention that Mendocino is one of my favorite places on earth; we went there for our honeymoon.