Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday's Spotlight - Nearly Nearly

By guest blogger Pete

We have a friend, who, for the last three years, has been telling folk that she's nearly eighty.  We know, for a fact, that she has two more years to go before she reaches that total.  However, according to her method of reckoning, from last Friday I, too, am nearly eighty!  I'm not sure what's so magical about the number eighty.  You probably get something like 171/2p a month off income tax. 


However, last Friday did bring me something different - something I've never had before and neither has Pam.  The Government decided that I'm now eligible for a free TV license.  Yesterday evening Pam and I watched our first session of free TV.  Pity there wasn't much on that was worth watching!!!  I'll not tell you how old I became on Friday; I'll leave you to work that out.


At long last we've stopped getting frosts in the early hours of the morning and all the, so called, experts are telling us that we've seen the last of frosts in this part of the country until late autumn; (although it might be "the last of frosts until "nearly" late autumn"). 


I've had bedding plants growing nicely in the garage for "nearly" a fortnight.  A "fortnight", for friends over the other side of the pond is "two weeks".  This morning I planted sixty bedding plants out in  the front garden and, as I write this, Pam is planting "nearly" another sixty out in the back garden.  Quite a useful word this "nearly".


Think of me on Tuesday afternoon.  I'm going into the local school for "nearly"  two hours - actually it's just a little over one hour but you know how that word "nearly" begins to take over.  During that time I'm going to be an "Aunt Sally - (or should that be "Uncle Peter?) - can't explain that to friends over the pond except to say that in Victorian times an "Aunt Sally" was a fairground attraction and she had things thrown at her. 


Anyway, for that time the children are free to ask me any questions they want and I have to try and answer them in a way they can understand.  This will be the second time I've done this and the first time I quite enjoyed the experience.


Well, it's "nearly" time to end this blog.  Remember it's "nearly" Christmas so why not start your Christmas shopping?

PS the photos are from the Belvoir Steam and Traction show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. This is funny to me because when I was small, my mom had to have her teeth taken out get false ones. My cousin, who is 9 years older than me, saw my mom without her teeth and said "Norma, you look NEARLY 50"! That summer, they made her a "nearly 50" birthday card (she was somewhere around 45 at the time). I still have the card, which is actually a booklet story with magazine photos and cute sayings and family time line...thanks for the memories.

Unknown said...

My pleasure. "Nearly" is one of those words that can be made to encompass so much. Very useful.