Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hummingbird Ring

The hummingbirds are buzz, buzz, buzzing around, and still finding plenty of food with our flowers at the moment. Everyday we see hummingbirds. We don't have any feeders for them - only the natural ones ie flowers!


It never ceases to amaze me the loud noise that such a tiny bird can make - not just with their hovering, but their little squeaks when they chase each other!! And as I see them, I just feel they are buzzing at me, nagging me to make them in silver. I did make a hummingbird charm a few months ago, for my mum....and like the shape of it... the curled under tail....open wings...


So I've combined the "nagging" hummingbird with trying out a new style of ring. This is a simple style of sculptural ends on thick fine silver wire....a type of bypass ring with a hummingbird and flower together. What do you think?


The basic style of sculptural end I first saw from Kate McKinnon's work and she's recently been discussing it in her blog. I really enjoyed making it - and keep looking at it thinking it should be a neck wire or bangle bracelet or something like that....


And yes, if you are like my husband, your first thought is that it is dangerous!!! It is a cocktail ring - not meant to be worn when gardening etc - and definitely catches the eye - but hopefully, not literally :=D It's just a statement. Everything we wear doesn't have to be sensible!

So live out loud - like a tiny hummingbird!

5 comments:

Easterya said...

I absolutely ADORE this ring, it is SUCH mindblowing work, such details, such poetry, such MOVEMENT!!!! Aaaaaargh(swallowing)mffffff... WOW!! Had a look at Kate Mckinnon's work too, SO inspiring!!! Fantastic!!

Vickie Hallmark said...

Yes, we think alike! You put a lot more time and personality into your version though. Nice!

Vickie Hallmark said...

We think alike! But your bird and flower ring shows a lot more time and work than mine. Nice!

kate mckinnon said...

Ruth, I'm so glad you tried out the sculptural ends- doesn't the technique make a fabulous ring? Your hummer is excellent.
Kate

Ruth said...

Thanks Fabs and Kate. Yes, I loved the technique. I actually had cast the flower in fine silver, so fused that and then added the hummingbird. I want to do more now!